Lil Peep‘s cause of death has reportedly been confirmed
Lil Peep‘s cause of death has reportedly been confirmed.
TMZ reports the emerging rapper and YouTube star died from an overdose of Fentanyl and Xanax, citing a toxicology report from Pima County Medical Examiner in which the medical examiner marked the cause of death accidental.
The aspiring musician was found unresponsive Nov. 15 on his tour bus in Tucson, Arizona. Despite the efforts of medical personnel he was pronounced dead on the scene, the Tucson Police Dept. confirmed last month. He was 21.
At the time, Peep’s older brother, Karl Åher (who goes by Oskar) told PEOPLE exclusively that the pill Peep took may have been laced and caused his death accidentally.
“We have heard there was some sort of substance he did not expect to be involved in the substance he was taking,” Oskar, 23, said. “He thought he could take what he did, but he had been given something and he didn’t realize what it was.”
As to the possibility of it being an intentional overdose, Oskar said Peep “was not struggling” at the time and that finding out about his death was a complete shock.
“It was an accident, it really was an accident,” Oskar explained. “He was super happy with where he was in life.”
Friends, family and fans paid tribute to Lil Peep (whose real name was Gustav Åhr) at a memorial service Saturday in his hometown, Long Beach, New York.
Emma Harris, a longtime friend of the deceased rapper, honored his memory at the service. “He’d make me laugh until I cried,” she said. “I don’t think it’s physically possible to shed more tears for anyone.”